Freedom for Sale


Hey how you feeling? Body, mind, heart and soul?

I’ve never been a feeler. I might as well have been a floating head these past three decades. It’s only recently I’ve been training myself to connect - really connect - to my body. It’s hard, too raw, too vulnerable, too real and present. It’s easier to stuff the anxiety and fear down with another glass of wine or tonne of chocolate, disconnecting and numbing out. Incredibly, the result of a consistent Yoga practice is a deep connection with our physical selves. Whatever is there is there - they’re just feelings and they’re yours. And it's not until they're seen, held and felt they can be released.

I’ve spent years willingly disconnecting from myself and pushing through intense feelings - anxiety, stress, fatigue etc to keep a roof over my head and feel safe. It’s not just me. We’re taught that to be acceptable we must achieve great things, to grow and be seen as ‘successful’ is vital – for all of us but especially men. Finally, during lock-down, I’ve had long periods to stop, breathe and Be. No where to go, nothing to do. Nothing to plan, pressure off without needing to act out the myriad roles assigned to me. Now I’m just me, another human being making her way. Same as you.

So I’m making a vow to myself that once we move through this Lock-down thing things will be different. I will be different. I won’t push myself through non stop productivity until I’m physically in pain anymore, to the point of eroding my health; mental, physical and emotional.

It feels like an extraordinary privilege - to just Be. But is it? How have we created a society where we have to earn the right to be who we are? To buy our freedom…? Who are we buying it from? And is it for sale? These are questions I’ll be asking myself the next few weeks before the lever is cranked down, the funfair is fired back up and we all have to dig out the clown pants to go back dancing for our supper. Or will we?


Hey, I'm Victoria. I believe passionately in the transformative and healing power of Yoga. My classes focus on creating deep inner knowing, releasing stress and anxiety, and elevating ourselves to reach our true potential.

You can join me in an online class by booking your space here: https://www.magnapass.co.uk/partner/holistic-love-yoga

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and...Be Still

The Miracle of Self Care - Three Practices

Yoga is You