Three Ways Yoga Relieves Anxiety
Loads of people I’ve connected with recently have told me they’re dealing with anxiety so I wanted to share the powerful ways Yoga can ease, soothe and
remove it. If you’re reading this you’re probably no stranger to it – in fact,
if you can breathe you’ve likely felt the tendrils of angst in your gut. Just knowing
you’re not alone and that there are reliable practices you can use is itself
powerful medicine.
Anxiety can be
defined as ‘…a feeling of unease, such as worry or fear, that can be mild or
severe’ (NHS online). It’s a very normal physiological response to the
perception that we are unsafe. Feeling safe is fundamental to our well-being
and happiness and if we want to move beyond survival mode into thriving mode, we have to learn how to
overcome anxiety and the fear response.
Our fear
response can be triggered in endless ways; day to day stressors like relentless
bills, a claustrophobic commute, the face of Nigel Farage, and big things like
loss, grief or the pressure to remain hopeful in a world which seems doomed (if
you stay too long with the mainstream media) can all culminate in a profound
feeling of dis-ease.
Obviously
nerves are normal when something huge is on the agenda like exams and marriage,
but when anxiety can’t be linked to anything tangible - if you can't seem to shift it, it deepens and becomes ever present then we got ourselves a problem.
Before it
peaked into full blown panic attacks I’d been dealing with anxiety for about
three years. I had no words for what was happening to me, I just thought it was
how I was. My inner critic was savage, I had intensely dark thoughts about
myself and the world, I struggled to stay still and was constantly in pain. I didn’t
understand my place in the world or how I could possibly build a life for
myself in it, everything was impossibly large and confusing. Alcohol and drugs
became my medicine, they soothed me when I needed comfort and gave me a sense
of connection and toxic as they were they helped - but they also took me on a ride
of self hatred and abuse that endured for years.
The lime
juice in the wound of anxiety is the loneliness of it. Despite the huge leaps we’ve
made to de-stigmatise it and remove the shame, it can still be really hard to talk
about what we’re experiencing mentally. As painful as this solitude can be, it
gives us an incredible opportunity to learn to draw upon our own vast inner
resources, it’s how we build strength and resilience - but first we need coping
strategies.
This is
where Yoga comes in. Here are three ways Yoga helps with anxiety:
· Grounding.
When my anxiety was at its worst I
was living almost entirely from my head. My mind had the steering wheel, was laughing maniacally and careening along at 100 mph. I wasn’t laughing. In Yoga we work
to draw the energy down into the body and consciously connect with our roots and breath. We practice feeling supported and with this comes great relief and
relaxation.
·
The Breath.
Your mind and breath are directly
linked. When we’re in the fear response our breathing can become shallow and erratic
but when we feel safe, we relax and our breathing slows down and deepens. In Yoga
we practise establishing a firm connection to our breath, the bridge between
our mind and body. When we consciously manipulate the breath we send powerful
signals to the body that we’re safe, and the nervous system relaxes and calms.
· Movement
Feelings of anxiety and excitement are very similar on the emotion spectrum
but differ depending on whether or not we feel safe. The anxious buzz, tingles
or any other manifestation of it is just energy which we need to remove or
discharge to come back into balance. A yoga practice, particularly a Vinyasa
Flow practice where we move in sync with the breath is an incredibly effective
way to release the intense symptoms of anxiety, discharging the energy and bringing us back into harmony.
We are
complex Beings and often our own inner nature is obscured from us. Yoga gives
us practical ways to begin to contact our extraordinary complexity, and gives
us great relief from carrying unnecessary stress and fear so you can live a
life rich with peace, clarity and joy.
Comments
Post a Comment