Rise & Shine - Empowerment & Control


I’m into self empowerment, are you?

What choice do we have? Victimhood? Languishing in fear waiting for some saviour to come and pull us out of the shit? I got news for you babes, no one’s coming.
But guess what, you got you. You are responsible for you. For the food you eat, for the thoughts you think, for the choices you make.

I grew up seeing dis-empowerment everywhere. Thoroughly working class, I was born into Thatcher’s government at a time when a man could still legally rape his wife; oppression was woven into my childhood. The disdain our current prime minister has openly displayed towards people like myself and family of origin was real – I felt it. The absence of self worth and self esteem, the disbelief that we deserved more from Life and  could be more in Life hung around, blanketing my childhood like a stinking smog. After all, aren’t we but the sons and daughters of men ‘likely to be drunk, criminal, aimless, feckless and hopeless?’ (Boris Johnson, 1995).

Your dis-empowerment is conducive to the system. And with the advent of social media and it’s ability to spread fake news and target you individually with it’s pernicious views, it's never been easier to get into our minds and manipulate us. There are people whose actual job it is to design ways to make you addicted to social media and ‘The News,’ to keep you plugged into a system which stimulates your extreme emotions and fuels your fear. If we are in fear we are easier to manipulate and control. Lately I’ve found myself reaching for my phone when I’m feeling bored, scared, anxious or in need of reassurance and, with an amusing irony, what I see when scrolling through endless tit bits about the outside world creates more fear, anxiety and (recently) mild panic. It becomes an absurd vicious cycle, like being trapped in a washing machine with a dog that, in it's terror, can’t help but snap and snarl at you.

We must protect our energy with our Life, because it is our Life. Our energy is our power - so what are you feeding yours to? Decide to take control of your mind, weed out any insidious roots of manipulation that might have gotten hold of your mind, because programming begins early on and continues throughout our life until we decide to take back control. That’s the only control we ever had, control of ourselves and our minds, not over some imaginary border line between the land mass we call ‘England’ and the landmass we call ‘Europe.’

I am the thinker of my thoughts. I am the master of my mind. Stepping away from anything that isn’t in alignment with my truth, compassion and love is Power. It’s arguably the only Power I have. My energy is mine, it belongs to me and me alone. Yes it’s important to be aware of what’s happening in the world, but never to the detriment of your mental and emotional health. Without your strength, how will you stand for those without a voice?

Stay aware and continue to rise. I’m not going to use the language ‘keep on fighting’ because that’s the language of violence and I want to contribute to the removal of that in our world. It’s time to begin shining our Light and the tools of Yoga and Meditation take us there by bringing us into awareness. Awareness of ourselves and what we are, the brilliance and the strength. We are Human Beings, Life itself. It takes something mad like $50 billion dollars to create anything even remotely close to the human eye. You are invaluable. You cannot be bought or sold. You are Consciousness – which is a miracle; just as worthy, just as important and just as capable as anyone else, no matter your circumstances. Your lack of cash could never have any bearing on your inherent worth, money isn’t real, it’s a construct. You are real, Humanity is real.

Stay present, stay aware. In presence is choice, if I am aware I can choose how I react to what Life brings my way, and in my choice is Power.

Let us rise now, in gentleness and in strength, solidarity and hope. Once and for all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and...Be Still

The Miracle of Self Care - Three Practices

Yoga is You